Student stress is one of the major difficulties faced by students in all learning and training institutions. There may be a lot of pressure in these schools class work, exams and assignments may cause students pressure. Some students, however, may not realize that they are stressed up. Being a student may be one of those very demanding times. Identifying causes of stress and their possible solutions is the best way that can potentially assist in dealing with stress. Student stress needs to be addressed as it may have serious harmful effects.
Causes of student stress
Lack of proper time management is one of the reasons for student stress. Lack of prioritization leads to last minute rush in meeting set deadlines for tasks and assignments. Financial instability is also a primary cause of student stress. Students may lack resources that they may need for their study for example stationery, educational tours and trips and this may cause a lot of stress. Family expectations may also lead to stress among students. They are expected to perform better in studies each time. They may end up over studying even late in the nights. This causes students a lot of stress. No one is sure about the future and what it holds. Future uncertainties for example fear of failure in life are a leading cause of stress among students. Another cause of student stress is personal relationships. Pressure to maintain one's friends and broken relationships with friends result in student stress.
Student Stress Relief Techniques
Since exams are a major stress cause for students, there is a need for proper preparation to avoid freaking out during the exam period. Power naps is also another important technique of dealing and preventing stress for students. To deal with student stress, it is also important to ensure that one has enough and sufficient sleep. Exercising is also an important student stress relieving technique. This helps in relaxation of the mind. Breathing exercise, for example, helps one to keep calm and assists in thinking logically and straight. Music is also a powerful technique for dealing with student stress. Listening to favorite and preferably soft music helps relieve stress. Students need to eat right and healthy. This helps students handle stressful conditions as compared to when students skip meals. Positive thinking is an essential stress relieving technique. Always being positive eliminates the thoughts of failure and enables a student to perform tasks when they are relaxed and thus avoiding stress.
Hire a professional essay writer online - Z Essay - expert paper writing service for college students.
The period of time connected with studying at college or university is often viewed as the happiest period in one’s life. However, many of us tend to forget about the challenges student life offers. Young people may find themselves rather stressed, due to either external or internal factors. High academic demands, tight schedules, numerous curricular and extra-curricular activities, in addition to personal affairs, can contribute to emotional or psychological tension.
Consequently, this tension may result in feeling stressed and physically unwell as a number of factors accumulate.
The following symptoms can indicate stress:
- Frequent headaches
- Sleep disorders
- Increased sense of vulnerability and irritation
- Fatigue and exhaustion
- Indifference towards favorite activities
- Unwillingness to communicate
- Desire for solitude
However, stress also has its positive side. It makes one’s brain and body work more effectively, thus keeping one more focused. Stress puts into play various resources of one’s personality and in such a way that it empowers one to overcome major obstacles.
Hence, the basic questions involving stress are:
- What are some effective ways for coping with stress?
- Is it possible to reduce stress the moment one begins feeling the pressure?
- Is there a way to avoid future stress?
Before we begin looking for answers in coping with stress, let’s admit that students often choose unwise strategies for overcoming emotional and physiological tension, such as turning to tobacco and alcohol use, consuming large amounts of junk food, and becoming lethargic rather than participating in physical exercise. However, the most helpful and effective ways to deal with stress include strategies that are just the opposite!
So, if you want to beat the tension without doing more harm to yourself, you should follow the guidelines below:
- First, participate in more physical activities (Robinson, Smith, Segal, 2015). Avoid using public transportation or a private car when you just need to get to any nearby location. Also, find out about programs offered by the local gym and slowly become involved in a physical sport. In addition, develop a healthy life style. Taking brisk walks or short morning jogs before class will also help!
- Second, keep a planner where you list all the important tasks to be completed that day, week, or month (Robinson, Smith, Segal, 2015). This will help you to be better organized, making certain you stay on top of your responsibilities. It can also help you to prioritize. Soon, you will feel more in control of your student life, once more!
- Third, try to set realistic goals. It’s important not to overestimate your resources and capabilities. If the task looks too complicated, break it into several smaller tasks and gradually work toward completing the overall, major task. Moreover, working on a major task should be systematic in order to avoid the feeling of being overwhelmed again. It’s better to complete it slowly over a period of time rather than all at once. Choosing and maintaining such a systematic approach toward all tasks will help to build confidence that you can manage to complete everything on time.
- Forth, make sure you get enough sleep (Robinson, Smith, Segal, 2015). Avoid procrastinating until the last moment, which is usually just before you go to bed at night. Instead, complete all tasks for the next day well before bedtime. Then, go to bed by 11 P.M after taking a warm, relaxing shower. Adequate sleep is essential for replenishing the energy you need for your studies the next day. When you sleep well, you feel less anxious, short-tempered, or exhausted.
- Fifth, avoid solitude. Try to surround yourself with a company of supportive friends. Lively chat, good jokes and a friendly smile are proven ways to feel less vulnerable and to avoid the risk of a nervous breakdown.
As you can see, when talking about stress, we are dealing with two different sides of the same coin.
You can’t avoid stress in your everyday life, but you can increase knowledge and awareness about this issue, and thus learn to cope with it quickly and effectively. Additionally, you will gain the ability to maintain a healthy psyche and emotional stability. Emotionally-stabled, well-balanced students tend to be more successful in their studies and future professional lives than those who are always worried or stressed out! So, learn to maintain flexibility and stamina. You will find doing so very rewarding!
Worried about: Whom can I pay to write my essay for money? Don’t get upset, we are here to provide you with original custom written papers on different topics.
About Jessica Dong
Jessica Dong is a 21-year-old student from Beijing. She studies business development in the USA and dreams of running her own company. Jessica is a socially active student with interest in traveling, social media and entertainment.
View all posts by Jessica Dong →