How to write a kickass essay with ½ the stress
A kickass ppt by wittacism
Find out what your teacher wants
- get the assignment prompt and break it down into its individual parts
- this becomes your skeleton for your essay
Don’t start with the introduction paragraph
- seriously this is a great way of stumping yourself ten minutes into the writing process
- you’re trying to write an intro for a paper that doesn’t exist yet???
- start with the first body paragraph
Your awesome body paragraphs
- the cool thing about the essay is that you pretty much get to tell people what to think
- don’t hold back
- your name is already on the top of the page
- so whatever you say
- try to really mean it
- the conclusion is like the end of a 30 second commercial where they hold the product up at the end just in case you forgot you were watching a Hot Pockets commercial
- hold up all your arguments for the audience one more time
- just in case they forgot what they just read
- now that you have some kickass body paragraphs and a conclusion, rewrite your conclusion in introduce your topic
- notice how its 300x easier to introduce something AFTER you’ve written it
- slap a badass thesis statement on the end of your intro
Badass thesis statements
- remember that skeleton we made in slide 2?
- get it back out
- make a single sentence that talks about all those points
- it’s totally cool to write a sentence that says, “In this essay, I argue that…”
- then just list those things
- quotes are a great way to make yourself look credible and to add length to your paper
- lets be honest, no one actually wants to write 2,000 words
- you need to talk before and after a quote
- tell people who you’re quoting
- tell people why they should care
- fun fact: Microsoft Word’s citation maker is literally the scum of the earth
- never ever use it
- use citationmachine.net instead
- or make your own
- (it takes about the same amount of time with a lil’ practice)
- go get yourself a milkshake
- because you have a rough draft, my friend
- be proud of yourself
(Note: all text copied word-for-word, with errors intact.)
It’s essay writing season for tons of students!
After being a college writing tutor for over a year, I thought I would share my advice with all you awesome people on tumblr. This is how I write essays, but if you’ve got more tips, feel free to add them below.
Happy writing. You can do it!
This is actually brilliant.
Paper Stacks, the first Tumblr theme designed for touch. Developed in collaboration by FiftyThree and ALLDAYEVERYDAY. Paper Stacks is a beautiful new way to showcase your ideas and inspiration discovered across the web.
- Touch. Built from the ground up for touch. Swipe images aside and enjoy photo sets presented in paper stacks.
- Curate. Select up to 5 posts to feature in the top carousel. Tag posts with "featured" to display.
- Learn. A stunning multi-column detail view for source, descriptions, and comments.
- Display. Show your ideas and passions beautifully. Works in landscape and portrait views.
- Interact. Play with Paper Stacks and be inspired on Made With Paper.
Paper Stacks is free and includes preset fonts, background photo upload, two color and layout options. For maximum customization features don't miss Paper Stacks Pro which includes a profile slide to highlight your social channels, full color selection, and logo upload.
How do I activate the carousel at the top of the theme?
To activate the carousel tag at least one post as featured. You can promote up to 5 stories this way. If you are using the pro theme you'll need to tag at least one story as featured for the profile slide to appear.
How do I create the photo stacks?
To make a photo stack create a Tumblr photo post and upload multiple images to the post. Any photo post with more than one photo will appear as a Stack on your tumblr.
How do I customize colors, fonts and background images?
Go to http://www.tumblr.com/customize/YOURTUMBLR and change 'YOURTUMBLR' with the name of the tumblr blog you're editing. Below you'll see a number of options for customizing colors, fonts and background images. If you're using pro you'll have more option to customize colors. To utilize the background photo you'll need to be using the carousel function.
How do I make a custom profile slide?
This function is only available in Paper Stacks Pro. The profile slide will pull in your tumblr description automatically. To add a photo simply upload one at the customize screen in tumblr. To link to your social media channels add the urls you would like to direct to in the appropriate fields at the customize screen. Any url you add will automatically include the icon with your profile.
For further support please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org