- Describe and then refute the key points of the opposing view.
- Restate and reinforce the thesis and supporting evidence.
2. Drafting the Persuasive Essay
When writing the initial draft of a persuasive essay, consider the following suggestions:
- The introductory paragraph should have a strong “hook” that grabs the reader’s attention. Open with an unusual fact or statistic, a question or quotation, or an emphatic statement. For example: “Driving while talking on a cell phone, even hands-free, is the equivalent of driving drunk.”
- The thesis statement should leave no doubts about the writer’s position.
- Each body paragraph should cover a separate point, and the sentences of each paragraph should offer strong evidence in the form of facts, statistics, quotes from experts, and real-life examples.
The Secret to Good Paragraph Writing
- Consider various ways to make the argument, including using an analogy, drawing comparisons, or illustrating with hypothetical situation (e.g., what if, suppose that…).
- Don’t assume the audience has in-depth knowledge of the issue. Define terms and give background information.
- The concluding paragraph should summarize the most important evidence and encourage the reader to adopt the position or take action. The closing sentence can be a dramatic plea, a prediction that implies urgent action is needed, a question that provokes readers to think seriously about the issue, or a recommendation that gives readers specific ideas on what they can do.
3. Revising the Persuasive Essay
In the revision phase, students review, modify, and reorganize their work with the goal of making it the best it can be. Keep these considerations in mind:
- Does the essay present a firm position on the issue, supported by relevant facts, statistics, quotes, and examples?
- Does the essay open with an effective “hook” that intrigues readers and keeps them reading?
- Does each paragraph offer compelling evidence focused on a single supporting point?
- Is the opposing point of view presented and convincingly refuted?
- Is the sentence structure varied? Is the word choice precise? Do the transitions between sentences and paragraphs help the reader’s understanding?
- Does the concluding paragraph convey the value of the writer’s position and urge the reader to think and act?
If the essay is still missing the mark, take another look the thesis. Does it present the strongest argument? Test it by writing a thesis statement for the opposing viewpoint. In comparison, does the original thesis need strengthening? Once the thesis presents a well-built argument with a clear adversarial viewpoint, the rest of the essay should fall into place more easily.
4. Editing the Persuasive Essay
Next, proofread and correct errors in grammar and mechanics, and edit to improve style and clarity. Having a friend read the essay helps writers edit with a fresh perspective.
5. Publishing the Persuasive Essay
Sharing a persuasive essay with the rest of the class or with family and friends can be both exciting and intimidating. Learn from the experience and use the feedback to make the next essay even better.
Time4Writing Teaches Persuasive Essay Writing
Time4Writing essay writing courses offer a highly effective way to learn how to write the types of essays required for school, standardized tests, and college applications. These online writing classes for elementary, middle school, and high school students, break down the writing process into manageable chunks, easily digested by young writers. Students steadily build writing skills and confidence with each online writing course, guided by one-on-one instruction with a dedicated, certified teacher. We first introduce essay writing to students at the elementary level, with our Beginning Essay Writing course, where they will have an opportunity to write their first five-paragraph essay. Our middle school online writing courses, Welcome to the Essay and Advanced Essay, teach students the fundamentals of writing essays, including the persuasive essay. The high school online writing class, Exciting Essay Writing, focuses in depth on the essay writing process with preparation for college as the goal. Time4Writing’s online writing classes for kids also cover how to interpret writing prompts in testing situations. Read what parents are saying about their children’s progress with Time4Writing’s online writing courses.
What writers do you hire?
Our company currently employs over 7500 professional writers ranging from Bachelor's to PhD degrees in various fields, ranging from SEO writing, article writing, to professional ghost-writing. They are assigned to the project based on the type of your order and the academic level of your paper.
Will I get caught by buying an essay online?
As our name states, we take the confidentiality of our customers very seriously. Because of that, not even the writers know the identity of our customers; all communication takes place via messages between customers and writers.
Do you guarantee 2:1 result?
We can certainly provide you with a 2:1 level writing. But, because of differing standards of grading between universities (and even professors) a guarantee of grade is near impossible for any writing service, we suggest you to be careful of those that do. However, we do guarantee we will work on your paper until you are completely satisfied with it, if we don't get it right the first time we'll revise it until we do.
What if the assignment needs some changes or something?
Our 100% customer satisfaction policy guarantees you that you may request as many revisions as you find it necessary. To request a revision for the completed paper, please login to your control panel and click on a "Request Revision" link.
Are the assignments plagiarism-free and not resold and total confidentiality?
Our assignments are completely free of plagiarism. We do not resell our work. We provide complete and total confidentiality to the extent that even your writer does not know your identity.
Do you write questionnaires?
Yes, we can develop a questionnaire. It qualifies as a research paper type of assignment on our order placement list.
Is there anyway to verify that my paper will get to me on time?
Yes, you can keep track of the progress through your personal control panel. Yet, maintaining contact with your writer is the most efficient way to obtain reliable information in regards to your order progress. You can communicate with the writer directly, via the control panel.
What format do you send your papers?
There are several formats you can choose from: Word Document File (.DOC) Excel Datasheet (.XLS) Rich Text Format (.RTF) Power Point Presentation (.PPT) ZIP Archive Format - includes any multiple files in a single file (.ZIP)
Will you email me the assignment if I place the order?
Yes, we will send you a completed assignment via email. Alternatively, you can login to your personal control panel to download the file in case you need it later.
I cannot estimate the price of my assignment myself, can you do it for me?
Sure, you can send your assignment instructions to firstname.lastname@example.org and our staff will estimate the cost of the assignment for you. It would really help if you also let us know your academic level, and your deadline.
Have you got any office in UK or any contact office in UK?
Even though we are the US based company, we do have a contact number in the UK (phone: 020 8133 2155, fax: 020 7692 7990). All the phone calls and faxes are redirected to our head office.
Do you have British writers that are up to date with the contemporary issues in Britain?
Yes we do employ British writers that would be able to incorporate current publications in to your essay. Let us know the full criteria for the essay and your academic level should you choose to place an order with us and we'll begin working on it.
Next Questionclick for answers